tirsdag 5. november 2013

New blog

Hi! We've been told to make separate blogs for our third year. I've grown rather attached to this one but I guess it must be done.

This is my third year blog where I will post about final major project stuff. It has a lot of toads and there will be more toads in the future. If that doesn't sell it I dunno what will.

onsdag 25. september 2013

I don't have much to report on the caravan stuff. It's got functioning collissions, and I've unwrapped the surfaces so I can get some texturing going now, but it pretty much looks like what it did when I last blogged about it, and that's just not very exciting, is it?

I am very stressed about the coming year now, in particular I am worried about the fact that I don't know what to do for my final major project. I've thought about potential FMP ideas a lot over the summer, but I don't feel confident about any of them. That ties in with the fact that I don't know what field I want to specialise in, like I wrote about back in the end of May. I still have some thinking time, and I hope I'll be able to discuss it with someone before I mess up and make a terrible FMP the tutors won't like.  
Here's a terrible frog that I drew this morning.

onsdag 11. september 2013

I was struggling to modell the front bit and felt I needed a clearer image of what I was going for, so I drew this real quick. I think it sets the mood I am aiming for. 


tirsdag 10. september 2013

Summer project: Caravan Scene 02

I wish I had more progress by now, but I’ve had some computer problems that I spent a lot of time faffing about trying to fix. 

The gist of it is my external hard drive stopped working, and in an attempt to fix it I managed to delete all the software on my laptop somehow. No files. Just software. Obviously, it didn’t fix the hard drive, but I’ve reinstalled all the most important  things and have been making a fair bit of progress.

Here's a refined concept of the scene, after looking at references, especially getting a more detailed look for the caravan down.


I’ve started modeling the scene. As I am working I am very conscious of avoiding straight angles and hard edges; I want the scene, and especially the architecture added on to the caravan, to look wonky and in a shambles.  

I have pretty much finished the exterior and a few assets. The only bit of the exterior I haven’t finished is the front entrance. I’d like to do that today, it would be cool to finish the textures and be able to place the entire thing in UDK as soon as possible. Seeing what it looks like in Max is all well and good, but I don’t think I can gauge if I’ve done a good job until I see it from the player perspective. 

I’ve also started the interior. 

I was very apprehensive of this bit; I have never modeled interiors before and wasn’t entirely sure how to go about doing it. But I think I have figured out a good solution, I mean it’s basically like modeling a box inside the exterior box, but inverted. The difficult part was modelling where the exterior meets the interior, making the two bits lock together seamlessly but without clipping. I solved that with door frames. I suppose that’s what they are for in real life, too. Clever. 

I modeled a little bed area into the interior mesh; I wanted it to be like a built in bed, with drawers underneath.  

Sorry about the gross render. 

I modeled the drawers as separate objects, so they can be pulled out. I would really like to be able to make them so that the player could click on them to pull them out and see what’s inside. I don’t know what I need to do to make that work but if I could figure out how to do that rat boid in CryEngine, I can figure out how to do this in UDK.

The hold up with the computer issue aside, I think I have made a fair bit of progress, though not as much as I would have liked. So far my tri count is at 3 000, which I think is fairly all right.

My plan for the next two days is to finish the front bit of the exterior, cobble together the interior, put on some rough textures and see how it all looks from a player perspective in UDK. 


onsdag 4. september 2013

Summer project: Caravan scene 01

I'm all settled in my new house in Leicester and ready to start my 3rd year. It's still a bit early, but it's nice to get everything sorted before the hard work starts. To get a bit of practice in and to have something to do, I've written myself a small practice brief.

This is a brief for a small scene I want to make in the following month, before uni starts up (give or take a week for family visits).

The main point of the brief is for me to practice putting together a scene in UDK with interactive sort of things like doors that open and close on player input, flickering lights and swaying stuff and whatnot. It’ll also be good practice for getting back into 3D and texturing, and it will be a good way for me to gauge how much work I can actually get done in a month. 

I will use 3DS Max for modeling and all that, Zbrush for sculpts to bake down, and UDK to construct the scene. I have not decided if I want to do the scene with hand painted textures or photo textures yet, but I am leaning towards hand painted.

The scene will consist of a derelict caravan with slapdash additional architecture. It will have an interior and a small surrounding exterior. If I have time, it would be nice if the area was closed of in a natural way, but that is not important for my purpose of this brief, and thus at the bottom of my priorities.

These are some initial unreferenced sketches I did, getting the basic idea down. In the following days I want to collect more references in order to flesh out the scene more, adding clutter to make it seem more messy and lived in.