mandag 18. juni 2012

Summer project; 18th of june update

Progress-wise, last week was kind of flat. I felt a bit bored with the entire project and I might need to take a break and do something different for a little while. I finished my character today. There are still things that need fixing, but you can only work for so long on something before you go mad, so I think it's time to just call it done.


mandag 11. juni 2012

Summer project update 11 june

I've spent way more time on this character than I thought I would, but it's been worth it, especially considering the amount of things I have learned. My environment is pretty much done so I have time to indulge, I think.

I've made him some props, which knocks the tri count up to a satisfying amount, and adds some much needed detail.



I used the freeform modeling tools to make the props. I hadn't used these before, but I can definitely see that they'll come in handy especially for organic modelling and for clothes.

I also had another go at putting the model into Zbrush. The first time it didn't go so well, but I had some help from Tim who showed me how to utilise alphas in Zbrush, which made my job making a fur texture much easier. I still think Zbrush is a pain in the arse to use, but I think that with some time I can learn to love it. I definitely see how it can be useful for not just "Zbrush-masturbating" anyhow.

I'm now baking down maps with Xnormal, which feels much quicker than when I tried doing it in Max, but it's still taking its time.

I want to concentrate more on the scenery this week. I've started making a basic desert environment to build on in Max, and research the possibilites for making it my terrain in UDK. I'm also planning on adding a small body of water, I'll see how that works out.

onsdag 6. juni 2012

Summer project update: 6th of June


Even though we have no lectures I am learning quite a lot by just puttering about in the labs. I have reached a bit of an upward slope when it comes to progress because I don’t know what’s the best way to tackle the challenge I am looking at now, and because I spend quite a bit of time reading tutorials and experimenting with software, mainly UDK and Zbrush. 

One of the third years showed me a couple of useful tricks in Zbrush and I feel like I understand the potential of the program much more. I’m going to have another go at it to make a nicer texture base for my character, but first I want to smooth out the base mesh; there are lots of places that could need some extra loops, I don’t even know why I rushed into texturing it at this stage.

It was a goal for me to put this scene together in UDK, but just exporting the Max-file to a UDK-friendly format proved to be a massive faff resulting in several hours of tutorial-reading. When I finally managed to place my textured table in a basic UDK scene, I was so proud of myself I almost cried.

My challenge now is figuring out what’s the best way to make the environment. I don’t like the landscape tools UDK has, they seem very random and I don’t feel like I am in control. If there is a way to make a mesh in Max and then export it to UDK and make that my landscape somehow, that would be the optimal solution. I think that’ll be what I’ll look into today.