onsdag 6. juni 2012

Summer project update: 6th of June


Even though we have no lectures I am learning quite a lot by just puttering about in the labs. I have reached a bit of an upward slope when it comes to progress because I don’t know what’s the best way to tackle the challenge I am looking at now, and because I spend quite a bit of time reading tutorials and experimenting with software, mainly UDK and Zbrush. 

One of the third years showed me a couple of useful tricks in Zbrush and I feel like I understand the potential of the program much more. I’m going to have another go at it to make a nicer texture base for my character, but first I want to smooth out the base mesh; there are lots of places that could need some extra loops, I don’t even know why I rushed into texturing it at this stage.

It was a goal for me to put this scene together in UDK, but just exporting the Max-file to a UDK-friendly format proved to be a massive faff resulting in several hours of tutorial-reading. When I finally managed to place my textured table in a basic UDK scene, I was so proud of myself I almost cried.

My challenge now is figuring out what’s the best way to make the environment. I don’t like the landscape tools UDK has, they seem very random and I don’t feel like I am in control. If there is a way to make a mesh in Max and then export it to UDK and make that my landscape somehow, that would be the optimal solution. I think that’ll be what I’ll look into today.  

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar