tirsdag 19. februar 2013

Angel nests

(officially the worst blog headline ever)

I did some thumbnails of my final scene for the book project, then realised this wouldn't really work out without a better idea of what the room actually looks like. So I spent some time mapping it out and working out some details today, just taking a short break from the group project. 

I'm doing a scene in the beginning of the book, where the main characters are getting drunk in the back room of the angel's bookshop in Soho, and they have an argument about space birds.

Here's an excerpt on the bookshop. 

"Aziraphale collected books. If he were totally honest with himself he would have to have admitted that his bookshop was simply somewhere to store them. He was not unusual in this. In order to maintain his cover as a typical second-hand book seller, he used every means short of actual physical violence to prevent customers from making a purchase. Unpleasant damp smells, glowering looks, erratic opening hours - he was incredibly good at it."

Later in the book there's also something about the mafia coming around and making threats to set the book shop on fire, and then they are never seen again, but I couldn't find that segment again. The aggressive possessiveness the angel exhibits over his book collection is probably my favourite thing about the character because it's so unexpected from an angelic archetype. (but then, during the course of the book, he really doesn't act very angelic except he fixes a bike once)

So I thought it would be a cool environment to do. From the book you get the feeling it's rather cluttered and musty, but also lived in, worn and loved. And it's completely mundane and human, except for a small sort of sigil on the floor used to contact the other angels in heaven. 


Regardless. Here are the thumbs for the final scene which I did before actually having a map. At first I thought I'd do a scene where they're driving around the countryside in the demon's Bentley car, but I thought it wouldn't be as fun as the bookshop. 

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar