fredag 8. februar 2013

Good Omens


I'm going to write about the 3D character project a bit later but right now I just need a break from it a little bit because I am so tired of looking at it. 

These past few days, beside getting the group project rolling, I've been working on the book character project. Oh wow man I was so excited when I heard about this project, I was like "omg gonna do all the books" but I had to narrow it down a bit and choose a book. 

Initially I really wanted to look at Neil Gaiman's American Gods, because it would be awesome to do interpretations of familiar gods in a modern, american setting, but I was really torn between that book and Good Omens.


Good Omens was a collaborative project between Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman so obviously it is a really awesome book.



The thing with American Gods is the amount of characters in it I would enjoy drawing is just mental, and I never really felt any attachment to the characters other than thinking the concepts were neat.

Good Omens is a bit simpler and I always thought the main characters were really endearing. I thought it would be cool to do the two of them because they are very opposite of one another and they sort of play off one another in a way that I think it would be a shame to do just the one of them, one would loose its charm without the other.

The gist of the book is the apocalypse is going down, and the two main characters, an angel and a demon, decide they like earth as it is and try to stop it. 

I started out by turbo-re-reading the book, noting descriptions of the characters as I went along. I already had a pretty clear head-image of the demon-character, but not the angel, which, when rereading the book wasn’t so strange because he really isn’t described in much detail.

What I had to go on was that he has plump, manicured hands, thinks tartan is stylish, has a fashion sense that tends to gravitate towards the fifties, and that: "Many people, meeting Aziraphale for the first time, formed three impressions: that he was English, that he was intelligent, and that he was gayer than a tree full of monkeys on nitrous oxide." Both characters look human to blend in with people or something.

So I guess the natural thing to do was look at renaissance depictions of angels and 50s clothing.

Mmmm tartan vests.

Some sketches that came of it:
I really wanted him to have long blond curly angel hair like the renaissance angel paintings, but at the same time I also really liked the well-groomed 50s hairstyle. Can't have both. LIFE IS HARD.

For the demon character, Crowley, matters were much simpler. I always had a realy clear mental image of him and the moodboard is more for reference than inspiration.

Crowley is described as having dark hair and good cheekbones, loves gadgets, enjoys looking stylish and wears sunglasses to hide yellow slitted eyes. Being a demon, Crowley can change form but hates doing it because his current form is his favourite and he's scared he'll forget how to change to it. In the beginning of the book he is the serpent in the garden of eden, hence the snake eyes, I reckon.

Sassy sketches
And then these two. When I drew these yesterday I thought I had settled on a design, but today I am not so sure anymore, mostly because I still have a massive crush on renaissance angel hair. 

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar